Sunday, August 31, 2014

ROME PART III: NARROW STREETS OF COBBLESTONE

     I've been back from Rome about two weeks now, and what I remember most vividly (aside from the gratitude I felt for being able to be there with my family) are two things: the masterpieces of art that literally take your breath away, and the humbler but every bit as real pleasure of just walking down the streets, never knowing what you might find around the next corner.  The Romans take the ubiquity of thousands of years of history completely in stride, but it still seems in credible to me that this yellow apartment building in the background of the ruins is where I lived for a week:


     You might not be able to see it in the photo, but the building was not only right next to Trajan's Forum; it was actually attached to the ancient brickwork.  This was the front door:


     There's really no reason for me to post photos of the art, which can all be seen online or in tour books, so I thought I'd close out my Rome series with some photos of what it was like for us to just wander around the city, slurping from out water bottles (it was SO hot), stumbling over uneven cobblestones, with Amy wanting to stop and feed every stray cat she saw (and there were many stray cats).




 
 

















     It was a magical week for us.  I hope my family gets to go back there someday, preferably together.  And I hope you get to go there too!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I've only been in Rome once, although I've had six trips to Italy. We were supposed to have a winter trip there, but I broke my ankle and so we had to cancel it. who knows...maybe I'll still get to do that.
    I love staying in apartments when traveling. You can really feel like a resident and not a tourist.
    Getting to cook ( and shop) in a foreign city is a wonderful experience. Glad you got to do this with people you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anne! I think you should go to Rome in the winter and then we'll compare notes. By the way, how many pandas are you allowed to bring in your carry-on?

    ReplyDelete