Friday, January 27, 2012

(ahem) woo hoo.

I am SO not a WOO HOOO!!!! kind of person, but you know what?  The SCBWI winter conference is this weekend, and I am very (for me) excited.  So I am giving a restrained, moderate, dignified shout-out that would never be heard in a crowd, but you and I know it's there, right?  Decided at the last minute to stay over in the hotel on Sat. night, because a few days ago I learned via email from Kathy Temean, ,the indefagitable New Jersey regional advisor, that some people from the NJ chapter will be going out to dinner after the cocktail party, and I decided to join them, and once I did, the idea of Port Authority at 10 p.m. to catch a bus back home, only to catch another one back into the city at 7 the next morning, seemed less than appealing.  I hate to spend the money for the hotel, but my husband urged me to do it, so I did.  I am up for putting my public face on for a weekend, then coming home and collapsing on Sunday.  The thing I'm actually most excited about is getting to finally meet Sarah Davies, founder of Greenhouse Literary Agency, who worked patiently with me on Novel #3 a couple of years ago until she ultimately decided to pass on it.  I only know her through emails and one unexpected phone call from her, at the start of which I almost hung up on her because it was 6 p.m. and at that hour, I pick up the phone with the presumption that it's a telemarketer on the other end.  Big oops.  I still cringe. Anyway, she's a hero of mine, and I'll get to stalk - I mean meet her at the conference, which thrills me.  So, I'm off!  Well, technically I'm not "off" until I'm on the 6:57 bus tomorrow morning, but for all intents and purposes, I'm off.  Wish me well, okay?  I'll report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment