Monday, April 1, 2013

MY SON THE MENSCH, PART II

     I think that my son's recent Facebook post may not have been openable from its link on my blog, so I'm just going to reproduce the whole thing here, because I think it's important.  Ahem:

        I realize that as a white, straight male, I will never really be able to understand
        the daily indignties that people who are "different" from me have to suffer
        on a daily basis. Growing up, I never had to worry that I wouldn't be able
        to marry the person I wanted, and I can't imagine what it would feel like
        to have people I've never met discuss the validity of my feelings.

        I know that one day, we will all be able to marry the person we love, and I
        know that my children won't be able to understand why gay marriage was
        once illegal. In the meantime, all I can really do is hope that five unelected
        officials can cobble together some type of consensus that "equality before
        the law" is more than an empty phrase.


And I always thought I couldn't be any prouder of him. Shows how wrong a mom can be!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment